Notice! Confluence will be undergoing system maintenance on Mondays from 5pm to 7pm. During this time the system may be unavailable.
Schedule: Plan to contact Wade Cooper ahead of your rotation to confirm details. Below is typical schedule as of 2018.
|AM||Schultz or Cornblath Taubman Clinic||Cooper Burlington Clinic||Conferences||Cooper Brighton Clinic||Cooper Burlington Clinic||No clinical duties*|
|PM||Schultz or Cornblath Taubman Clinic||Cooper Burlington Clinic||Continuity clinic||Cooper Brighton Clinic||Cooper Burlington Clinic||No clinical duties*|
* May be on jeopardy or random nights during this rotation
Typically 1/2 day off is on Monday (morning or afternoon)
Schedules: BRL PAIN NEUROLOGY (Burlington), BCSC PAIN NEUROLOGY (Brighton)
AAN Practice Guidelines for Migraines (from Neurology 2000; 55:754 - Exhaustive list of things to try)
Dangerous Causes of Headache
- Suspicion for any of the below should increase with worst headache of life, new-onset headaches, or focal findings on exam
- SAH (worst headache of life)
- Epidural, subdural, intraparenchymal hemorrhage
- Venous sinus thrombosis
- Pituitary apoplexy
- Hypertensive encephalopathy
- Spontaneous intracranial hypotension
- Ischemic stroke often presents with headache
- Dissection may present with neck or occipital pain
- Temporal arteritis
- Consider in all patients over 50 years old with a new headache
- Elevated ESR (not sensitive!)
- Palpable pain over temporal artery or jaw
- Jaw claudication
- Scalp tenderness
- Joint aches
- Temporal bruit
- This is an emergency! Visual loss can result, and other eye can become involved.
- Treat with steroids if suspected.
- Ophthalmology consult.
- Consider temporal artery biopsy.